Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Writing update...again.

I have got to stop doing these things without anything to show for it, I know.  Anyway, here's what's been going on in Ye Olde Writing Life:

1) Sea Change is currently with the first of the betas, the lovely and perceptive Aud, to see if there's anything worth saving in there.  I have a good feeling that I'm going to have to leap-frog Siren over it; it's rare that I stumble around a book with such an overwhelming feeling of wrongness without being able to pinpoint exactly what needs to be retooled.  This is unfortunately going to put me way beyond the one-book-every-six-months schedule I've been trying to maintain, and the sales of Leech are definitely suffering for it.  Allow me to reiterate my long-standing position: do you want a free book?  Do you like to talk about books?  Write a review!  Let me give you a book!

2)  Since Sea Change is officially sitting in the corner to think about what it's done, I've moved on to doing the edits on Siren, Naomi's book.  The past year has been sort of rocky for me in terms of mental health (how's that for an understatement, but I'll save it for the next post), and the first thing to shut down whenever I'm going through a depressive patch is always my sense of words.  What used to be as easy for me as breathing is still like breathing...through glue.  It's taken me a little while to get my groove back on Siren--I used to do 3500 words a day without a hitch, and now I'm proud of myself when I hit 1800--but I'm getting there.  Working on a book that's already 80% there structurally and just needs some shoring up at the beginning and end helps; I can see the path laid out before me.  (Yes, I am describing writing as both water and paths in the same paragraph.  I told you that I'm still coming back to full strength.)

3)  Editing Siren has rejuvenated my excitement for my next two projects, Bulletproof and a heretofore unnamed novella.  They're both about Bonnie.  If you follow me on Twitter, you might have noticed that I, ah, really like Bonnie.  Possibly on the level that I like Catherine.  My love of Bonnie doesn't get me the looks my love of Catherine does, however, possibly due to the part where Bonnie is not a psychopath.  (What?  Catherine was fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment